Friday, September 13, 2013
Lake Charles Memorial’s Cancer Center Receives Accreditation with Commendation
Lake Charles Memorial Hospital’s Cancer Center was recently granted a Three-Year Accreditation with Commendation by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (CoC) following an on-site evaluation by a physician surveyor.
According to the surveyor, Memorial’s Cancer Center demonstrated a commendation-level of compliance with CoC standards encompassing the full scope of the cancer program, including cancer committee leadership, cancer data management, clinical services, research, professional education, community outreach and quality improvement.
“We are proud to have received this distinction from the Commission on Cancer, which recognizes the hospital’s commitment and the quality of care that our patients have come to expect,” said Dr. James Gaharan, a hematologist/oncologist with the Memorial Medical Group and chairman of the hospital’s Cancer Committee. “We continue our efforts to expand services so that more cancer patients from southwest Louisiana can receive the highest levels of cancer treatment here at home.”
Established in 1922 by the American College of Surgeons, the Commission on Cancer is a consortium of professional organizations dedicated to improving survival rates and quality of life for cancer patients through standard-setting, prevention, research, education, and the monitoring of comprehensive, quality care.
Receiving care at the Commission on Cancer-Accredited Cancer Center at Memorial ensures that a patient will have access to:
- Comprehensive care, including a range of state-of-the-art services and equipment
- A multispecialty, team approach to coordinate the best treatment options
- Information about ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options
- Access to cancer-related information, education and support
- A cancer registry that collects data on type and stage of cancers and treatment results and offers lifelong patient follow-up
- Ongoing monitoring and improvement of care
- Quality care close to home.